From: Martin Sebor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:13 AM
To: stdcxx-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Apache "look and feel" for stdcxx docs

Marc,

Before I respond to your points below, let me suggest that you might
want to follow Mark's example and expand the .zip file so that people
can easily preview your changes on your page without having to download
and expand it themselves. Here's Mark's demo of an otherwise unrelated
documentation project:

   http://mark.g.brown.googlepages.com/stdcxxutil

Martin

Marc Betz wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Here is my take on the feedback returned on my changes to the
documentation:

- RE banner: I am entirely agreeable to a prettier banner, but that request needs the talents of a graphics designer. That is most
  definitely not me. Does anyone know of one willing to contribute a
  bit of time?
- RE collapsible TOC in navigation pane: this would require
JavaScript.
We have not used JavaScript at Rogue Wave so I don't know anything about it, although I imagine I could pick it up pretty quickly, at least for

something as common as this. We do not use JavaScript because our documentation
  has always deliberately used very plain vanilla HTML to guarantee it

will
  display well in any browser. Myself, I would suggest keeping it that

way.
- RE buttons: these do not play much part in the frame view, but they are
  needed in the No Frames view. We could, of course, just forget about

the
  No Frames view, but I think there are still those who prefer it.
- RE incomplete sample: you can get a complete copy of both the reference and user guides by downloading the zip archive at: http://betzmarc.googlepages.com/stdcxx. I would just have put a viewable version up there except I cannot figure out how to upload multiple files, and I am certainly not
going
  to do it one at a time.

I would like to suggest that we commit these documents as they are currently so I can get busy on cleansing the documents of references to Rogue Wave, SourcePro, and modules. Then we can fiddle with the format some more later.
Is that agreeable? If so, could someone do it?

Marc