portion of a his  hate propaganda had to be taken out.
=======================================

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Eric Margolis
Ottawa Sun, July 9, 2001

The Hague, Netherlands - It seems absolutely surreal that Serbia's
deposed despot, Slobodan Milosevic, is now lodged here at a convertible
UN  prison in The Hague, just miles from the heart of swinging,
boisterous Amsterdam. My feelings about Milosevic's arrest are mixed.
Way back in 1989, this column began warning of Milosevic's toxic
combination of virulent Serb nationalism, Pan-Slavic, anti-Muslim racism
and totalitarian methods. I was denounced in 1089 at special meeting at
University of Belgrade. Over the ensuring years, as I kept writing that
Milosevic intended to launch a Balkan bloodbath, I became the target of
vitriolic hate mail from Serbs and a steady stream of death threats.
Milosevic originated four Balkan Wars that killed 250.000 people and
left 3,4 million homeless. It's time  he is behind bars. I am waiting
for Milosevic's trial to demonstrate the Serb despot's personal
involvement in, or at least knowledge of, orders to commit atrocities
and crimes against humanity against Croats, Muslim Bosnians and Catholic
and Muslim Albanian Kosovars. I long to see punished the 68 other senior
Serb war criminals, notably Bosnian Serb leaders Ratko Mladic and
Radovan Karadzic, who organised and conducted the most abominable crimes
in Europe since World War II and Stalin's era. Though UN chief
prosecutor Carla del Ponte will keep up pressure to extradite Serb war
criminals remaining at large. But I am also troubled by the spectacle of
a man sold out by his country and put on trial by a massive, faceless
international bureaucratic machine that represents today's great powers.
I am unhappy that the western powers had to pay Serbia  $1 billion US to
get Milosevic delivered like Fed-Ex package. Money is homogenized form
of power. Power is what got the Serb strong man to Holland. But I would
have preferred to see Britain's SAS or US Delta Force commandos go grab
Milosevic and bring him to justice. I believe Milosevic and his fellows
deserve the maximum punishment - including his wife, Mila. The UN
tribunal should also  prosecute other as-yet-unindicted  Serb war
criminals, notably those academics and leaders of the Orthodox Church
who concocted a farrago of racist-historical-religious lies that
provided Serb extremists and political gangsters the intellectual and
religious justifications to massacre or "purify the nation"of Bosnian
and Kosovar "untermensch."
But I still cannot help feeling some sympathy for this lonely prisoner
in a Dutch jail. A I have a certain grudging respect for Milosevic, who
is refusing to co-operate with the UN tribunal or rejects the legitimacy
of the trial, showing the pride, stubbornness and courage for which
Serbs are noted. Milosevic and his supporters are now hoping to turn his
trial, which could take a year or more, into a political circus in which
NATO finds itself the defendant. But the steady discovery of mass graves
of murdered Albanians hidden in Serbia is fast undermining Milosevic's
strategy. The former head of Serb secret police recently revealed that
remains of thousands of Albanian civilians - mostly women and children
murdered in Kosovo by Serb forces in 1999 prior to the NATO bombing
campaign- were still secreted across Serbia. Many bodies had been dumped
into the Danube, buried in forests or deep mine shafts, buried, or
dissolved in acid. Thousands of Bosnian Muslims remain missing after six
years. Serbs are now learning for the first time of the atrocities
committed by their former regime. These gruesome revelations helped
Serbia's, capable prime minister, Zoran Djindjic, deliver Milosevic to
The Hague. But the scores of secret graves being uncovered seem to have
done nothing to change the opinions of die-hard Milosevic backers,
notably in North America, including some at the Toronto Sun. The most
important lesson to be drown from Milosevic's arrest is that other
demagogues around the world should think twice before inciting racism
and religious hatred, or concocting distorted histories and fake
nationalist mythologies, to inflame their followers and advance their
political ambitions. This is also a warning to embattled Macedonia,
which appears to follow Milosevic's murderous course by launching
full-scale war against its mistreated and now rebellious Albanian
minorities. ==== Eric Margolis is the Sun's foreign affairs analyst.

STOP NOVOM SVETSKOM PORETKU