STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get a low APR NextCard Visa in 30 seconds!
     1.  Fill in the brief application
     2.  Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
     3.  Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no
annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/NextCard

McVeigh, Global Warming Cloud Bush Europe Trip

By Randall Mikkelsen
Reuters

WASHINGTON (June 11) - President Bush headed to Europe on Monday for a trip
clouded by the execution of Oklahoma bomber Timothy McVeigh and anger over
Bush's rejection of an international global warming treaty.

Bush departed on Monday evening for Spain on his first overseas presidential
trip. He will also visit Belgium, Sweden, Poland and Slovenia.

The six-day trip includes a meeting with NATO allies, a U.S.-European Union
summit in Gothenburg, Sweden, and Bush's first meeting with Russian President
Vladimir Putin in the Slovenian capital Ljubljana.

Bush has sparked concern in Europe with his support for the death penalty,
his reluctance to take action against global warming and his plans to build a
U.S. missile defense system.

Bush is hoping that promises to sustain the traditional close transatlantic
links and a chance to personally explain his views will help overcome the
differences, but street protesters and questioning European leaders await him.

''There are some differences of opinions on subjects, but that doesn't mean
we can't be friends and can't work to build useful alliances for the benefit
of our people,'' Bush said in an interview with European reporters before he
left.

''I'm used to explaining positions that some people don't agree with,'' he
said.

JUSTICE, NOT VENGEANCE

Bush faced two of those areas of disagreement directly on Monday. He gave a
strong endorsement of McVeigh's execution -- opposed by European governments
-- for killing 168 people in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah federal
building in Oklahoma City.

''This morning, the United States of America carried out the severest
sentence for the gravest of crimes. The victims of the Oklahoma City bombing
have been given not vengeance, but justice,'' he said.

The German government released a statement saying it opposed McVeigh's
execution on ''fundamental principle.'' No European Union member imposes the
death penalty.

Bush said in the interview, ''I understand the death penalty creates a lot of
emotions in most people ... but in a democracy the issues are debated, the
laws are on the books and it's up to the executive branch to adhere to the
laws, which I will do as president.''

Bush also outlined what he will promote as an alternative to the 1997 Kyoto
treaty on global warming, which he rejected in March to the dismay of many
European leaders.

''My administration is committed to a leadership role on the issue of climate
change,'' Bush said in a speech in the White House Rose garden.

Bush said global warming is a real problem. ''We recognize the responsibility
to reduce our emissions,'' he said.

He pledged to increase research and development and pursue diplomatic efforts
to solve the problem, but again rejected as ''unrealistic'' the Kyoto
treaty's mandatory targets for reducing emissions of greenhouse gases thought
to cause global warming.

Although European leaders say mandatory targets are necessary, Bush said too
many scientific uncertainties remained to warrant stronger action now.

He said the United States would work through a 1992 United Nations pact on
global warming to find an international solution. Guiding principles would be
stabilizing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, relying on
market incentives and scientific advances, and involving both developed and
developing nations.

Bush said the Kyoto treaty was ''fatally flawed'' in that it exempted
developing countries and its mandatory targets would harm the U.S. economy.

MISSILE DEFENSES

European leaders have also expressed concern about Bush's plan to build a
missile defense system, fearing it could touch off a costly new arms race.

The system would entail scrapping or radically changing the ABM treaty to
build a system of interceptors to shoot down incoming long-range missiles.
The ABM treaty bans missile defenses, to ensure that a nation which launched
a nuclear attack would be exposed to a devastating retaliation.

Bush said on Monday he looked forward to making his case to Putin and the
European leaders. ''I think the whole doctrine of blowing each other up ...
is an ancient doctrine,'' he said.

''I think people, when they hear my rationale and discussion, particularly
some of the younger leaders who aren't necessarily wedded to the whole Cold
War mentality, will say, 'I now understand the logic.'''

He said he would make ''some strong statements on NATO,'' and reiterated his
support for expanding the transatlantic alliance to include more members of
the former Soviet bloc. In principle, ''no nation should be excluded,'' he
said.

Bush also sought to allay concerns over his commitment to U.S. peacekeepers
in the Balkans. ''You will hear me say loud and clear, in the Balkans, we
came in together, we will leave together,'' he said.

 Reuters 20:14 06-11-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited.  All rights reserved.  Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.  Reuters
shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any
actions taken in reliance thereon.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted
by AOL.