From: John Clancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Africa: ;>
Cc: <news: ;>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 2:23 PM
Subject: Guardian:US loses trade case in EU. Australia-Kyoto

from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
subject: Guardian: US loses trade case in EU. Australia-Kyoto
>Washington Post / Fear of punitive sanctions after U.S. loses trade
case to Europe / Paul Blustein

>Fear of punitive sanctions after U.S. loses trade case to Europe
           >Paul Blustein
>
>The United States lost an international trade case to the European
Union  last week that could result in billions of dollars of punitive
duties on  U.S. exports to Europe, according to industry and official
sources.  Such sanctions, if imposed, would far exceed any that have
been allowed in  previous cases decided by the World Trade
Organization, which has handed  its confidential decision to the U.S.
and EU governments.

  The decision involves a $4 billion tax break for U.S. exporters that
a WTO  panel found to be an export subsidy that violates international
trade  rules. Because of the amounts of money at stake, the ruling
threatens  seriously to inflame transatlantic tensions and could set
back efforts to   launch a new round of negotiations to lower trade
barriers worldwide.  U.S. Trade Representative Robert B. Zoellick
exhorted European officials  last month to settle the dispute, warning
that "it would be like using a  nuclear weapon" on the global trading
system if the EU were to win the  case and fully exercise its right to
impose sanctions. A U.S. appeal of  the decision is virtually certain
and would take months. But if that  ruling goes in the EU's favor,
Washington would face a painful prospect:  If the United States failed
to abandon or substantially alter its export  tax system, the EU would
be entitled to $4 billion in "compensation."

  That could involve duties of 100 percent and possibly more on
selected  U.S. products, enough to price the American products out of
the Euro pean  market. It is impossible to say which U.S. products
might be subject to  European sanctions, because WTO rules give the
winner of a case  considerable leeway in deciding how to take its
compensation. Many of the  companies that would be vulnerable would
presumably be among the hundreds  of U.S. multinationals, such as
General Electric, Boeing, Caterpillar and  Microsoft that benefit from
the tax break in dispute.

  The duties would hurt European importers, too, which is why companies
on  both sides of the Atlantic have been urging a negotiated
settlement.  Zoellick and his EU counterpart, Pascal Lamy, have
expressed determination  to keep the issue from damaging broader
relations, but both are under  severe pressure to stick to their guns.

   Congress rewrote the export tax law last year when a previous
version was  ruled illegal by a WTO panel, and lawmakers are loath to
change the  current law. On the European side, many policymakers feel
strongly that  the United States shouldn't be allowed to wriggle out of
WTO rulings.  Moreover, the ruling comes at a time when ties between
Washington and  Brussels are under strain because of disagreements over
environmental and  defense issues and the recent opposition by EU
antitrust authorities to a  proposed $45 billion merger of GE and
Honeywell International Inc. "This  is a very dangerous case because of
the size of any retaliation that might  follow a U.S. loss," said
Willard Berry, president of the  European-American Business Council.
"It's clear that both EU and   U.S. companies would be terribly hurt."

  U.S. exports to the EU totaled $152bn last year. Although $4bn might
seem  small by comparison, it would dwarf the $191m in sanctions that
Washington  imposed on European products in a recently settled dispute
over bananas  and the $117m in sanctions that remain on European
products in another  EU-U.S. dispute over hormone-treated beef.  In
another development that does not augur well for transatlantic
trade,  Zoellick formally asked the U.S. International Trade Commission
for a  broad investigation into whether increased imports are causing
serious  damage to the U.S. steel industry. The independent commission
could issue  a finding that would lead to stiff duties on steel
imports.

 The Guardian Weekly 28-6-2001, page 32 >

             ******
from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
subject: Herald: Europe presses Aust Minister Hill on Kyoto
[SMH Home | Text-only index]

Europe presses Hill to move on Kyoto
Date: 07/07/2001
By Andrew Clennell and Joseph Kerr

Europe asked Australia yesterday to dump what it described as its
"wait-and-see" approach on international greenhouse gas talks.

But three senior European delegates failed to persuade Australia's
Environment Minister, Senator Hill, that Australia should ratify the
Kyoto protocol on climate change without the US.

The delegation, led by the European Union Environment Commissioner, Ms
Margot Wallstrom, Belgian Energy Minister, Mr Olivier Deleuze, and
Swedish Secretary for International Affairs, Mr Lars Danielsson,
received what it found to be a more attractive reception from the
Federal Opposition in Sydney.

Labor's foreign affairs spokesman, Mr Laurie Brereton, said the
Opposition believed Australia should be prepared to stay in Kyoto
negotiations with a view to the protocol coming into force by the
target date of 2002.

Ms Wallstrom said Mr Brereton had led her to believe that Labor would
be prepared to ratify without the US. She said Labor came out clearly
in favour of the Kyoto protocol and for ratification.

The Europeans' visit to Australia followed the announcement by US
President George Bush that he did not believe in pursuing Kyoto - which
sets targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 2010 - and he
wanted another greenhouse agreement that would not harm the US economy.

The Federal Government has said if the US does not agree to Kyoto, the
deal is dead. All countries involved in the protocol will take part in
the next crucial meeting on Kyoto rules in Bonn, Germany, starting on
July 16.

Ms Wallstrom said Europe and the Australian Government had different
views on how to persuade the US to return to the Kyoto process.

"We are not so [keen] on the wait-and-see approach," she said. "We gave
our best arguments on how we should use the Bonn meeting to reach an
agreement and put some pressure on the US."

Ms Wallstrom said the delegation - which will also visit Japan - was as
much about maintaining public pressure on the two governments as trying
to change their minds.

"I think it's important this stays in the media, [that] we use the
political momentum for moving this issue forward," she said.

It was also an attempt to show Australia and Japan that this was not
purely an environmental issue - that it had to do with international
relations, she said.

"We expect these countries also to show political leadership," Ms
Wallstrom said.

Senator Hill said yesterday the Government would settle its negotiating
position for Bonn on Monday but it felt to settle rules without the US
in Bonn would not progress getting an international agreement.

He said the US wanted to consider a new policy and had asked for time
to do that.

"Where we differ a bit from the European position ... is they think by
settling a final position in Bonn, which will enable countries to
ratify, that will put pressure on the United States," he said. "We
think by doing that will be to close the gate on the United States."

[SMH Home | Text-only index]     " JC