On Jul 23, 2010, at 12:38 AM, Chris <chrisharriso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies if this question has been answered before, and sorry if this is in
> the wrong forum (I couldn't find communities >> zfs >> discuss in the list)
> but I haven't been able to find the answer despite extensive searching.
>
> I have a zpool consisting of 3 x 1TB disks. I would like to add 1 x 1TB
> parity disk to create a raidz from my existing zpool and this one extra disk.
> My aim is to add this extra disk to achieve some redundancy, but without
> having to destroy and recreate my existing zpool, and keep all of the data on
> this existing zpool - is this possible?
>
> Where my existing zpool is called "tank" and the new disk is c4t0d0, would
> the command be something like:
>
> zpool create newtank raidz tank c4t0d0?

You can't add/remove devices in a pre-existing vdev.

You'll need to either:

1) Backup pool (you can zfs send to an eSATA pool temporarily as a backup)

2) Destroy pool

3) Recreate pool

4) Restore pool

One should always have a backup/restore solution or one shouldn't care if they
loose their data, there are no ways around this rule.

-Ross