Aha...
On the other hand the compilation of this software is "tricky", it is like a
memory black-hole... :) - see this thread here on Sun's forums:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5430275
(a short summary: with 8GB ram it swaps out 3-4GB, and this motherboard cannot
handle more. Buying a new system is out of my budget at the moment...)

With OpenIndiana I see something that's promising: with SXCE (I still use 125)
the memory is almost full, according to Gnome's system monitor, the system
cache eats up a lot of ram (can't recall, but around ~50-60, maybe 70%)  while
under OI I get "7% used by programs, and 0% used by cache".
I did not have the opportunity to compile in the last week, so the compiler's
behavior is to be tested.

Somehow I remembered (badly, very well might be...) that ZFS writes only to
free space (until there is free space on the device), and only _then_ begins to
overwrite previously used space, which would mean that all blocks would seem
used after a while  (from the perspective of the SSD itself).

Thanks very much for the info!