--- Joelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"...we definately need to work to make contested
judicial races more common..."

I suppose if you are going to have elected judges it
would make sense to have the elections contested.

However, I'm not at all sure that electing judges is a
good idea in the first place. The federal system of
appointing judges for lifetime terms (perhaps
reappointments every 10 years or so might be an
improvement) has its merits. Requiring judges to
pander to the latest whims of the electorate raises
problems for me.

The appointment method has its problems too; cronyism
being one of them. It's not an easy problem but, on
balance, I think the appointment system (with
confirmation by the legislature) is the better way to
go if we want an independent judiciary.

Charles Swope
Ward 1