Ben,

First on the confusion: The JIRA ticket I filed is against "Release 1.5.4". I didn't label it as such but if it is confusing then perhaps that needs to be remedied by perhaps renaming "Release 1.5.4" in JIRA to "Release 1.5.x" or something. I fully understand 1.5.4 is not released and that I am working with a snapshot of 1.5.X... and as such refer to 1.5.4 as 1.5.4 Snapshot as much as possible (see subject line of thread :-)

I now distinctly remember some reports of issues with testing nested layouts with 1.5.4 Snapshot but didn't realize that those issues never got resolved. I also am not surprised that you fatigued at looking at the code as you were making quite a few updates back in May / June. I for one am very much appreciative of all the efforts made by yourself and the entire Stripe Developer team as overall I am quite happy with both Stripes and Stripersist.

However there were reasons why we flipped over to using 1.5.4 Snapshots and those reasons pertained to issues with 1.5.3... one of the more annoying being the IIRC Stripes Filter / Dispatcher null pointer exception and duplicate web.xml coding that caused all sorts of issues and was fixed in 1.5.4 Snapshot. Off the top of my head there were other things that were resolved as well but I can't recall them as its been quite a few months since.

Although both you and Freddy suggest flipping back to 1.5.3 to get nested layouts to work the problem is that this suggestion can't be taken in a vacuum... as it is taking a big step backwards with everything else outside of Stripes Layouts i.e. in isolation stepping back for working Stripes Layout functionality is wonderful but when looking at the entire picture the recommendation is problematic.

So here are the options I see and in the order of most to least likely:
1) Forging ahead with a 1.6 Snapshot...
2) Staying on 1.5.4 Snapshot but using another template engine such as Tiles or SiteMesh
3) Going back to 1.5.3... stable... but not a desirable option in my case
4) Waiting for this to be resolved in 1.5.4... sounds like this may not be so trivial and who knows when this might occur

I think I am going to try 1) and then if that doesn't bode well move to 2) which will be an unfortunate shame as I have used Tiles before and liked what Stripes Layout had to offer in 1.5.x but its useless for my project if it doesn't correctly support nested layout functionality.

Thanks,

--Nikolaos

Ben Gunter wrote:
Nikolaos, let's not confuse things by calling this 1.5.4 since there has been no 1.5.4 release yet. I am aware that nested components don't work with that branch at the moment. To be frank, when I realized that was a problem I had to step away from it for a while because I had grown sick of looking at that code. It will be fixed before 1.5.4 is released. In the meantime, I recommend sticking with 1.5.3 if the layout code from the branch doesn't suit your needs.

I will gladly use the sample JSPs you submitted with the JIRA ticket for testing. I know there are others out there who have layout examples that don't work with the 1.5.x branch. Please attach those to the JIRA ticket, and I will use yours as well.

-Ben