Can someone explain exactly when checkboxes are rendered checked..
I've done some playing around but it's still unclear to me how exactly
they should work:

<stripes:checkbox name="item.id" value="A" checked="A"/> not checked ?
<stripes:checkbox name="item.id" value="A" checked="B"/> not checked ?

The documentation says:  If the value of the checkbox is found to equal or be
contained by the 'checked' object then the checkbox will default to
rendering as checked.

I find that if the value of the checkbox is found to be
equal to the value in name then the checkbox is checked..

Can someone explain how i should be using this ?

Thanks,
..Chris