Hi,

Today one of our clients did an unscheduled security audit of a web app
written using stripes by mistake. Until we managed to call in to stop
it, I was seeing some interesting things in logs. One thing caught my
attention because the behavior was a bit unexpected. Perhaps it is my
misunderstanding, but I'd like to confirm nonetheless.

This is part of a login process. A simple action bean that has the
following fields:

         @Validate(required = true)
         private String username;

         @Validate(required = true)
         private String password;

Since both fields are required, I'm expecting to have this action bean
called until there are some values in both fields. But I kept on seeing
a NullPointerException located at setUsername:

                 WebUserFactory factory =
(WebUserFactory)config.getUserFactoryInstance();
                 factory.setUsername(username);
                 factory.setPassword(password);

Function setUsername is as follows:
         public void setUsername(String username)
             {
                 this.username = username.toUpperCase();
             }

The only way there can be a NullPointerException is if username was a
null. How can that be if username is a required field? At this point I'm
not expecting this to happen at all. I hope I've provided enough
information to support the question.

Daniil