I've run into an interesting situation with un-escaped double quotes in
JavaScript in a JSP.

I have some JavaScript code like this...

var companyName = "${actionBean.company.name}";

...which breaks if the company name contains double quotes.

The same situation can happen if the company name contains a single quote
and the javascript code quotes using single quotes...

var companyName = '${actionBean.company.name}';

The only workaround I've been able to come up with involves adding new
methods to the company object that I can call to get a JavaScript escaped
version of the string using Apache
commons StringEscapeUtils.escapeJavaScript().