Right now I'm learning Stripes from the Fred's book and from the very
beginning I'm wondering should I use Tomcat 6/7/8 or something else?
Here is what I've experienced today while trying to start the example
"email_06". Stripes version was 1.5.

First:
${actionBean.class} used in JSPs, works in Tomcat 6.
Need to be changed to ${actionBean.getClass()} to be able to work in Tomcat
7.
This was just a notification on the difference between running examples on
Tomcat 6 & 7.

Second:
@Validate(field = "birthDate", expression = "${this < today}") works in
Tomcat 6 for a Date field.
In Tomcat 7 it doesn't work at all, i.e. it raises an exception:
"javax.el.ELException: The identifier [this] is not a valid Java identifier
as required by section 1.19 of the EL specification"
To make it work, 'this' identifier should not be used, so the the first
guess to address this would be: ${birthDate < today}
This does not raise an exception but also does not validate the field at
all, i.e. it doesn't do the job so I wonder what might be the solution?

I believe that validation expression ${this < today} for date field have
not changed since Stripes 1.5 so I'm interested if you're getting the same
error in your projects