On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:09:36 -0800
> From: Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002
>
> Craig,
>
> It was nice meeting you and attending your Struts 1.1 session on
> Tuesday.  I'm curious what came of the BOF to discuss the future of Struts.

Well, there were only a few of us, and no video equipment :-), but it was
a good discussion.

We basically walked through some of the items that are already on the
STATUS page sections on the 1.2 roadmap (likely to stay backwards
compatible) and the 2.0 roadmap (likely to be rebuilt on top of Filters).
However, I've added some items I've been thinking about, one of which
makes your message quite timely.

I think it is time to start packaging tools and generators with Struts to
help the developer -- either as standalone packages included for
convenience, or integrated into the architecture of the package.  It
wouldbe interesting to explore how XDoclet fits in to this vision.

> I'd be really interested in your thoughts on the XDoclet work I've done,
> especially in the Struts Validator realm.  I'm generating validation.xml
> completely, and also all the form bean definitions in our system.  I
> also use XDoclet to process form beans for a one-time starter code
> generation of a JSP page (templated to our specific look and feel) for a
> specified form bean, as well as the resource properties that can be used
> as a starting point for the application resource properties for the
> field labels.  Its amazing amount of generation just on the Struts-side
> of things, but we use XDoclet for even more than that too.

I haven't done a huge amount of review, but I like the basic notion of
generating things like this.  I'm still getting my head around the idea of
doing this from special tags in the source, but I'll get there ...

> As for DynaActionForm's.... I still don't get their benefit.  Do you use
> them?  Or right ActionForm subclasses?  Its even less code to "write" to
> do a form bean for me, because my IDE generates all the getter/setters,
> and being able to generate validation.xml makes it so worthwhile.  :)

I can see your point in a world where the cost of creating standard
ActionForm beans is so low (because the tool does it for you).  However,
there's a couple of themes that are still involved:

* Lots of people are still stuck in a world where they generate
  these things by hand (even though some level of tooling support
  is freely available).  For those folks, not having to create these
  classes is a real benefit.

* Even in a tool-generated world, it's simpler for a tool to generate
  just the struts-config.xml fragment than the whole bean classes --
  to say nothing of not needing to compile anything.

* You should still be able to generate validation.xml if you start
  from a common definition of the fields.  One of the things I want
  to investigate is embedding the validation rules directly in the
  <form-bean> element, for example, so everything about the bean
  is in one place.  (In a high-level UML based tool, for example,
  all this stuff would be part of the metadata about a particular
  form captured in the model.)

* DynaBean in 1.1 only solves part of the "dynamic" needs people
  have.  The next logical step is an abstraction that does not predefine
  the set of properties at all (consider a SQL browser that dynamically
  creates properties for each row based on the column names included in
  your SELECT).  We'll be able to build this on top of the existing
  DynaBean infrastructure much more easily than we could on top of
  standard JavaBeans.

> Take care and hopefully I'll get a chance to chat with you further at
> some point during the week at ApacheCon.

I will be in the hacker's lounge this afternoon (after lunch until 3:30),
and will then be either there or in the Exhibition Hall most of tomorrow.
I'd be happy to sit down and talk some more, although I'm unlikely to have
time for any in depth reviews first.

>       Erik

Craig