On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:35:27 -0700
> From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: xhtml javascript hiding methods
>
> Well, here are the choices as I understand them:
>
> 1.  Use CDATA to hide the javascript and make it completely useless in
> current browsers.
>
> 2.  Use a comment to hide the javascript which allows current browsers to
> work and xml parsers.
>
> The xhtml spec does suggest using CDATA but I don't see a reason the comment
> method won't work.

If you are using XML-based technologies like XSLT to transform things to
create your output pages, the "commented out" text inside a <script>
element is going to get dropped on the floor.

What I also don't understand is why anybody is worried about generating
XHTML markup for the current generation of popular browsers, none of which
implement it correctly ... but that's a different issue.