On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see done is to have all the Struts tags that use
> the "name/property/scope" pattern of attributes (for access to bean
> properties) also support a "var" attribute that understands the
> expression language syntax from JSTL.

I might be misunderstanding, but just a quick clarification:  in JSTL,
'var' is used for output from tags ("the name of the variable exposed").
Struts might want to come up with a convention for an attribute to
supplement name/property/scope and use the EL; perhaps 'value', as many
JSTL tags do.

> That way, page authors could start transitioning to this style while
> keeping the functionality of their existing Struts tags, and/or
> develop pages where JSTL and Struts tags can easily interoperate.  It
> would be cool if Shawn could assist in making the EL evaluation engine
> (from the standard taglib) available separately -- something we've
> talked about on occasion -- and assisting in updating a couple of
> existing tags as a model.

Absolutely; I'm all set to help with this whenever it's convenient.
We've arranged our EL implementation (at Jakarta Taglibs) so that most of
the hard work of "modularity" is already done; cutting a separate release
of the EL, perhaps through Jakarta Commons, is now mostly a matter of
logistics.

Best,

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)