On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:37:07 -0400
> From: Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Tiles And Struts
>
> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> > ... once the basic integration is done.
>
> So, will there still be a separate tiles.jar, or is that going to be
> rolled into the Struts.jar too?

The core classes are already merged in, so you won't need a separate
tiles.jar.  I've also merged in the creation of struts-tiles.tld (instead
of tiles.tld) in the same fashion as the others.

> Not for nothing, but maybe this would be a good time to also split the
> distribution into two jars, struts-core.jar and struts-taglib.jar.

I understand the concept and the reasoning.  My only concerns are:

* What is the harm in having classes in struts.jar that you do
  not use?  They're never loaded anyway, and the disk occupancy
  is minimal.  (And I'd bet nobody loads all the "core" classes
  either.)

* I'm sure that I am not the only user that has lots of Ant build.xml
  files with a "${struts.jar}" property referring to "the" JAR file
  that needs to be added into a classpath, or copied into WEB-INF/lib.

> While the vast majority of Struts applications will use the taglibs, a
> growing number are using other technologies. Expresso and Stxx offer
> some slick XLS support for Struts. The Velocity View Tools are another
> tag-free alternative. More are sure to follow.
>
> Meanwhile, as we shift to the JSTL, our taglibs, as good as they are,
> start to become more and more of an optional component. Since we are
> making so many other JAR changes this cycle, it seems like a good time
> to do this too.

I guess it probably is appropriate timing if we want to do this -- but it
seems more like a marketing gimic than a technical necessity.