12/12/2002 6:30:18 AM, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've yet to see a solution that doesn't blur the delete step with
the
>generate list view step - and this forces actions to be tied to
how its
>used in the GUI, which to me goes against what Struts is all
about.
>Creating tiny actions that only do one single thing and then glue
them
>together in struts-config is something I find very helpful.
>
>Is there a cleaner way to do this without action chaining?

IMHO, the Actions shouldn't be doing anything except calling
business methods. So, instead of chaining to a DeleteAction, *any*
action should be able call the delete method of the business
facade.

Ideally, any chaining or nesting should take place behind a
business facade. When someone starts nesting or chaining actions,
it's an indicate that the actions are being used to implement the
facade.

Now, a lot of people do use actions as a facade. I wrote my first
significant Struts application this way. I got it out the door
very quickly and it performs very well. But, now, in maintenance
mode, I regret that expediency, since it is hard to test and
always feels fragile to me.