Thanks, John. I tried adding a system property to use the no op log, but then it just said that one didn't implement log instead -:( so I still can't run some of the BeanUtil-based tests directly.

Meanwhile, I did notice that the BeanUtils Ant-based tests run fine within IDEA. The difference seems to be that Struts is using the Ant Junit task and BeanUtils is doing it the old fashioned way. So, I may at least have a workaround there. Running tests from Ant scripts isn't so bad.

-T.

John Yu wrote:
Ted,

The infamous classloader problem!

It seems IDEA's plugin architecture doesn't create a new "classloader space" for a plugin (like what Tomcat does for each webapp) and IDEA itself is using log4j (and beanutils?). I ran into similar problem with JBuilder and Oracle JDev when I was working on my company's Collage IDE plugins.

Configuring common-logging not to use log4j may be a workaround. I dunno... Otherwise, the IDEA Ant plugin needs to be rewritten to create its own loader space.
--
John