Please see comments below:

> First of all, I think struts-menu is a great contribution and
> hope it will
> be integrated into struts some day. We need a good set of
> menu tags to
> create stunning out-of-the-box menus for our Java apps, so
> keep up the good
> work!

Thanks - I don't I'd ever want struts-menu to be *integrated* with
Struts - I'd like to have it more non-struts where folks can use it both
outside of struts and in struts.  It's supposed to be like that right
now, but I've never tried it.

> Also, apologies if some (or all :) of my rantings are
> invalid, as I am a
> total newbie when it comes to struts-menu :)
>
> However, testing the examples at
> http://raibledesigns.com/struts-menu, I
> notice that both Basic, Coolmenu4 and Dropdown has issues.
>
> - With Basic, I get the string "null" after each menu item.
> Noticed that
> this already has been reported as a bug on sourceforge, though.
> - With Coolmenu4, the item heights are too small causing menu
> items to
> be "cut off" (not all of the item is visible). Will put up a
> page with a
> screenshot to illustrate this.
> - Dropdown just plainly doesn't drop down at all :)

I (Matt Raible) only recently joined this project about a year ago.
Most of the old stuff was developed by Scott and I've never tried to
touch it or fix any of it.  The Basic follows under this category.  The
CoolMenu4 is mearly an example with images - I don't know of anyone that
uses this - most prefer no images.  I just added it to the example app
to prove it was possible (rudimentary testing).

Here's an example of the new VelocityDisplayer rendering CoolMenus4:

http://www.resortquesttelluride.com/telluride/index.jsp

> I have tested this with both Epiphany 1.0.1 (mozilla 1.4.x)
> and IE 6.0.
>
> Note: Dave Lindquist´s dropdown example
> (http://www.gazingus.org/dhtml/?
> id=109) works without a
> glitch. Using W3C:s validator
> (http://validator.w3.org), Dave Lindquist's example is
> validated OK while
> the struts-menu Dropdown example generates errors. These
> errors may give a
> hint on why DL's example works and SM doesn't - haven't
> looked into it yet.

Which drop-down, the first I've never worked and I believe CoolMenus is
a nice replacement for it.  As for the DHTML drop-down, that one only
works with one level and I don't know if I'll support that one in the
future (again, coolmenus can replace it).

> A suggestion (while I'm at it :) ) - what about trying to
> make struts-menu
> generate the
>
>     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
>         href="styles/menuDropdown.css" />
>
>     <script type="text/javascript"
> src="scripts/menuDropdown.js"></script>
>
> portion in the HEAD section? That would reduce the amount of
> code having to
> be written in the JSP.

There's no use in generating these simple entries if the user has not
downloaded the files.  I do need to write up better documentation (feel
free to help ;0) so this will be an easy thing for folks to remember.
If I were to write tags for these, it'd probably be something like
Struts Validator where the tag write the JavaScript in the page, or
allow you to link to it as a JSP that writes the script/css.

> Also, a <menu:disableCSS text="Disable stylesheets"/> tag for
> easy insertion
> of a link to a CSS disabled version of the page seems like a
> nifty thing to
> add.

I just added that as an example, I don't think there's really a need for
a tag - do you?

> This is just from the top of my head, I will start looking
> further into
> struts-menu soon to find other areas for improvement.
>
> Cheers,
> - Mikael.

Currently, I'm the only active developer on the project and the
"navigator" module in CVS is really for a release (as Struts Menu 2.0).
However, I want to vastly improve the documentation and HowTos before I
release.  I just haven't found time lately.  Hopefully I will before the
end of the month.

Matt