Thanks Robert.

Your suggestion was helpful.

Another key is to use varStatus='status' and the corresponding ${status.index} to
reference the
objects in the form array:

<!--SAVED SEARCHES-->
      <c:when test='${not empty
sessionScope.savedSearchesUpdateForm.savedSearchBriefs}'>

        <c:forEach items = '${sessionScope.savedSearchesUpdateForm.savedSearchBriefs}'
var='savedSearchBrief' varStatus='status'>

            <fmt:message key="savedSearchesUpdate.delete"/>
property="savedSearchBriefs[${status.index}].deleteFlag"/>&nbsp;&nbsp;
            <fmt:message key="savedSearchesUpdate.rename"/>
size="40"/>

        </c:forEach>

      </c:when>