If I understand the question, all you have to do is change the form's
action to insert or update as the case may be. A good way to do this is
to have a "task" parameter that you would pass to a single action
designed to handle both cases. You can do this dymamically using (where
key=0 means we're inserting a new record).

<logic:equal name="myForm" property="key" value="0">
<input type="hidden" name="task" value="insert">
</logic:equal>
<logic:notEqual name="myForm" property="key" value="0">
<input type="hidden" name="task" value="update">
</logic:notEqual>

For an update, visit an Action first, select the record, populate the
form, and forward to input.