Cameron, are you still experiencing this problem?  I just ran into the same
thing and thought I would share how I solved it.

I too was creating a form bean and then adding it to the session.  When the
corresponding jsp was loaded, all the values were reset to the default.
Upon examining my struts-config.xml, I noticed the following in my action
mapping for that jsp:

Note: irrelevant attributes have been omitted
<action  path="/path"
         scope="request"
         name="formName"
         input="/form.jsp">
</action>

Notice the value of the scope attribute...  I decided to add my newly
created form bean as a request attribute instead of to the session, and my
problem was solved.  To confirm my suspicions, I changed the value of the
scope attribute to session and then saved my form bean in the session, and
it still worked.

Hope this helps.

-Karen