I am using Netscape 4.78 and it works both with cookies on and with
cookies off on port 8080.  When I turn cookies off I see the jsessionid
in the URL.  When you have cookies turned on you will not see that in
the URL.  Note, I'm using Tomcat 4.0.1.

Are you using Weblogic for your application server?  I have seen some
issues when using localhost versus machinename.  I've also seen problem
when using Weblogic's webserver on port 80.

Hope that helps,
Steve