What Steve said, and

Sanjay Choudhary wrote:
> 2. Except for a HTML designer, most of the programmers
> are involved with backend programming. They have done
> very little HTML work. I was wondering if we will be
> able to create JSP's using Struts HTML tags and other
> tag libraries if a form is defined using pure HTML.

If the Java Engineers will also be doing alot of the HTML coding, I'd
recommend looking at Tiles early in the project. This lets you treat
blocks of markup (both template and dynamic) like methods in a program.
This can severely reduce the amount of markup the engineers actually
have to touch. Instead they incorporate it by reference, much like
calling a block of methods.

So, with tiles an engineer might create a new Result page by adding this
to a configuration file

  <definition name=".item.Result" extends=".Result">
      <put name="title"      value="New Item Result" />
      <put name="content"    value="/pages/item/NewResult.jsp" />
  </definition>

and then just writing the NewResult.jsp segment that exposes the result
set

(simplified from production, but this would work)

<logic:notEqual name="RESULT" property="size" value="0">
<TR><TD><TABLE width="100%">
<TR class="greybg">
<TH>item</TH>
<TH>name</TH>
<TH>category</TH>
<TH>donor</TH>
<TH>script</TH>
<TH>type</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD><bean:write name="row" property="item"/></TD>
<TD><bean:write name="row" property="name"/></TD>
<TD><bean:write name="row" property="category"/></TD>
<TD align="right"><bean:write name="row" property="donor"/></TD>
<TD><bean:write name="row" property="script"/></TD>
<TD><bean:write name="row" property="itemType"/></TD>
</TR>
</logic:iterate>
</TABLE></TD><TR>
</logic:notEqual>

The rest of the page, headers, footers, menus, even control buttons, can
all be inherited from a layout that the HTML dude has crafted.

Though, at the top, even that looks like a method:

<tiles:useAttribute name="title" scope="request"/>
<tiles:get name="base"/>
<tiles:get name="header"/>
<tiles:get name="heading"/>
<tiles:get name="messages" />
<TR><TD width="100%">
<tiles:get name="caption"/>
</TD></TR>
<tiles:get name="content"/> <-- THIS IS THE PART THE ENGINEER WRITES
<tiles:get name="back"/>
<tiles:get name="footer"/>

Of course, my production version also includes stylesheets so the HTML
designer can control that too, and some internal links so users can
drill down, but you get the idea.

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/