> I need an answer to this in a hurry
It's a big question - a hurried answer might be wrong.

> not had luck searching the archives.
but there's lots of stuff there!

Has anyone got this logic in a live system & can comment from practical experience?
-----------------------
Hidden fields are passed into the form bean by struts (if they have a corresponding
setter method)
same as visible fields.

So in your set of web pages each has every field on it. For each page the irrelevant
fields are
hidden. That would be OK. I suspect you might get problems if the user breaks up the
flow of your
app - the data in the request could get lost.

Many people use a form Bean in the session which has every field in it. This keeps
your jsp's
cleaner (no hidden fields). You may have unwanted data left in the session if user
doesn't
complete the work flow. Also problems with session timeout when user didn't want to
lose the data.

Me I love databases & like to store things there, with status codes to indicate if
data is valid
&/or complete.

For a little app I think your hidden fields theory is OK. If you are writing a Bank
Account
opening app, I'd use a database, you can't lose the data by mistake, which would annoy
your
potential customer.

You could write a big article on this stuff & argue all day!

Keith.