From: Emaho, Ghoot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 7:08 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Struts Community Opportunity

Hello all

I think there is an opportunity here, particularly with the imminent 1.1
release. I imagine there are going to be a whole bunch of new questions when
1.1 is released. There IS a lot of documentation for Struts. The work Ted
and others have done is great. But perhaps a new perspective on the docs
(particularly for newbies) might be prudent.

I know from my own experience that how these docs are organised and
presented can have a big effect on their usefuleness. Those of us who've
been using Struts for a longest can see how the user base has increased
dramatically, and I can only see this increasing with the release of 1.1.
Perhaps now is a good time to consider possible changes/refactoring of the
docs that would help inform new users and 'alleviate' some of the burden on
the list.

I know the docs as is are good, but thats easy for us to say when we know,
pretty much, how it works and hangs together :)

I'd be happy to offer some suggestions and effort in this regard - and I'm
sure others would too. I have experience in organising this type of content
on a large scale - especially for 'newbies', so maybe I have a different
perspective.

I'm not intending to step on anyones toes ! Any new work would obviously
build upon the existing site and Ted's great site.

Now for a shameless plug....Chiki (http://chiki.emaho.org) is being
developed by myself and others, and this is one of the ways it can be used,
for community building and content management. Perhaps somewhere down the
line we could have a Struts Community site powered by Chiki, with all the
relevant resources. As it is based upon Wiki this content can be dynamically
updated and managed, and there is suitable access control provided ! (well
in a release coming out very soon) Think 'The Server Side' devoted to
Struts. It would dramatically reduce the load on the mailing list, as well
as serving as a focal point for all things Struts. I imagine there would be
a group of administrators obviously, but it would also allow others to
contribute too, thereby lightening the load on everyone helping with the
list. I could go on and on about the benefits !

I'm not saying Chiki is the only answer, but I'm just volunteering something
that seems a great fit for the 'problem'. In the next 4-6 weeks Chiki will
be ready for such usage.

I'd love to see a Struts community using chiki (since it's built on Struts),
taking the whole Struts experience to a new level, one which can not only
cope with increased user base, but would positively thrive on it.

Even if people dont think this is the way to go, then I'd still be happy to
offer advise perspective and effort re the Documentation.

Please let me know what you all think

Thanks

Ghoot