I'm no expert (having just picked up poolman a week ago) but, it appears
to me that you don't have poolman.xml in the right place. It needs to be
in either of the following places:

1. In the WEB-INF/classes directory (this is what I do)
2. Jar'd up, and then put the Jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory (as
opposed to what you tried, which is putting the un-jar'd XML file in the
lib directory).

Bryan