I think what you are looking for is handled by configuring validation.xml in this way:
<formset>
 <form    name="action1"> (maps to action path)
         <field    property="field1" ....
         <field    property="field2" ....
         <field    property="field3" ....
  </form>

 <form    name="action2">
         <field    property="field1" ....
  </form>

</formset>

Your Form bean should extend ValidatorActionForm. The Validator will only validate
fields configured for the given action. Hope this helps.

P.

  Robert Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I want to leverage the declarative
validation functionality offered by the
Struts Validator package, but I have some reservations about how it works.
In my particular configuration, my application will use DispatchActions to
process common events.
In many cases I will use one ActionForm for all events being processed by a
particular ActionForm. Since I won't be validating all fields in all cases,
I want to only validate certain fields for a particular action mapping. The
only way I can tell how to do this is to use the page data member of
ValidatorActionForm to identify those fields that need be validated.

The problem I see with this, is ...
- for mapping A, I may want to validate field1, field2, and field3, and
- mapping B, I only want to validate field1, but
- mapping C, I want to validate field1 and field3.

Is this possible to do using the validation.xml file. That is, can you do
something like the following:

where 1 = mapping for A,
2 = mapping for B,
3 = mapping for C

If not, how is this possible? Is there a validator DTD I can reference?

robert