Daniel

  If I understand correctly  you have the automatic validation turned off
  and are calling form.validate() your self ?

  If so you'll need to emulate what the RequestProcessor.java does
  when the validation fails, which is

  ActionErrors errors = form.validate(mapping, request);
  if ((errors != null) && !errors.empty())  {
          request = ((MultipartRequestWrapper) request).getRequest();
 }

I don't believe the patch will be in RequestProcessor.
I need to look at the code better before putting a fix in.

-Rob