Assuming these are application-level, read-only values, I would think
you would want to load them at start and make them in application scope
- yes.  By doing so, not only do you not have to hit the database again,
but you just reduced your over-all memory footprint too (since you don't
have to mess around with loading them into a session/request).  Be
careful about what you put there and how you manage it though ;-)  If
these are values that change periodically, it may be easiest to just
take the db hit.  If they are fairly stable (ie. don't change a lot)
then putting them into the application scope would seem to me a very
good way to go about it.  Hopefully someone else will have additional
input ;-)

Regards,

Eddie