The struts-example and struts-blank webapps work out of the box on
virtually every other server -- and I do know for a fact that they don't
rely on any "magic" specific to any one server.

The exception you are getting implies that they don't have their class
load-on-startup servlet is invoked.  If that's really the cause, then it
is absolutely a bug in the container.

Craig