On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, [utf-8] Etienne Labonté wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:35:45 -0500
> From: "[utf-8] Etienne Labonté" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Form-Based Authentication and Struts
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any relation to be made between Tomcat Form-Based Authentication
> and Struts?

They can be used together, but there is no direct relationship other than
the ability to specify a "roles" attribute on an <action> element, to
limit the users that can execute a particular Action to those with one of
the listed roles.

> The Tomcat admin webapp seems to be based on Struts and uses
> Form-Based Authentication.

That is correct.  It uses the standard container-managed security
facilities provided by Tomcat (or any other servlet container).

> But it looks like it is not using Struts to
> handle the login form. On the other hand, the Struts-example webapp uses
> Struts for this task and has nothing about security defined in its web.xml

The reason for that is that most people, when the originally download
Struts, need a test app to see if everything works correctly.  If we used
container-managed security in the test app, we'd have to document how to
set up an appropriate user for every possible servlet container (and there
are quite a lot of them, each with their own procedures for this).

In retrospect, I sort of wish I hadn't illustrated application-managed
security like this, because I generally recommend that people use
container managed security for their webapps.  But, lots of people still
prefer to roll their own, so at least they've got a reasonable example of
that as well ...

> Etienne Labonté

Craig