James Higginbotham wrote:
Do you think that using the portal features of tiles could help in developing a portal application based on Struts?

Well, if you need something now, like me, then you'll probably be doing
what I do - comparing the potential of Jetspeed's codebase vs. writing
something simple from scratch using Tiles. If you have some time, a ref
impl of the portlet JSR should be out within the next month or two and
would allow you to choose from (hopefully) multiple portal containers
once the JSR goes final. I'm not sure where I stand at this point, I
just know that after 3 years of J2EE, someone should have a solid portal
framework (ala PHPNuke, but better), but nothing really exists yet.
I'm not surprised that there isn't a java nuke. The typical nuke user is someone running a hobby or special interest site. Nuke's use of php/mysql supports the cheapest hosting option. Since java used more in business/corporate settings, I wouldn't expect a big need for something like phpNuke.

I used Tiles to create an intranet site that had user customizable modules but I didn't need all the nuke type candy or the threaded message board (slashdot style) stuff.