I've done something like this. i.e. i have extended the PropertyMessageResources etc. and add extra stuff to fetch data in the relevant locale depending on the browsers locale. It works a really well for me.

From: "Joe Barefoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Internationalisation and Database/EJB data
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:16:56 -0800

Your database schema will largely depend on the amount/type of data that you need to internationalize...are you internationalizing entire documents, paragraphs of text, just messages, all three? Do you need localized images too?

Once you settle on a database schema, you can write a custom MessageResources implementation to fetch your messages. Your impl will be used by Struts for the <bean:write> tag and any other Struts classes/tags which fetch localized content. The MessageResources implementation factory is specified by an ActionServlet init parameter:
<init-param>
<param-name>factory</param-name>
<param-value>com.mycompany.strutsstuff.myubercoolresourcesfactory</param-value>
</init-param>

You can easily extend the MessageResources if you wish, and write other custom tags to retrieve, say, XML-based localized documents, if need be. If you search the archive( http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user%40jakarta.apache.org/ ), you should find plenty of posts on the topic, and I believe someone has written a "standard" DB-based implementation of MessageResources to replace the file-based one.

hope this helps,
Joe