John, you may also want to check POI at Jakarta

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html

I haven't looked much into it, but the index page states "The POI project
consists of APIs for manipulating various file formats based upon
Microsoft's OLE 2 Compound Document format using pure Java."

Might be worth a shot.

Alvaro

"This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is
provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a
solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial
instruments."