Here is a copy of the mail that was sent to me for logging in struts from
Nicolas Robert.

I followed the top class section, and let struts handle every thing else.

Cheers

Simon

[snip]
------------------ Here's a sample of logging :
import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
/**
 * This class is used to control the add search form.
 * @author nr gf
 */
public class AddSearch2 extends PpwAction {

/**
* Used for logging
*/
private transient static final Log log =
LogFactory.getLog(AddSearch2.class);
if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
log.debug("blablabla");
}
try {
} catch (Exception e) {
log.debug("an exception occurs... : ",e);
}

---------------------- Here's a sample of log4j.properties config file
# CONFIGURATION FOR AN Log4J Logger
# ---------------------------------
log4j.debug=false
log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, ConsoleLogger

# Console Logger Definition
# -------------------------
log4j.appender.ConsoleLogger=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.ConsoleLogger.ImmediateFlush=true
log4j.appender.ConsoleLogger.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.ConsoleLogger.layout.ConversionPattern=[%-5p-%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS}

# Commons Validator
log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorResources=ERROR
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn=ERROR

# Commons Resource
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources=ERROR

--> Please note that every classes must begin with log4j.logger

[snip]