From: Tony Baity [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 9:57 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Any good suggestions on implementing Security

Craig,
Would you by any chance know anyone/anyproduct that instead of using
JDBCRealm has create a SOAPRealm where the user data is available via a web
service instead of a database?

 "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:57:38 -0600
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Any good suggestions on implementing Security
>

> "Depending on the container, your groups and group memberships can be
> dynamically mapped to roles, with declarative specification of what
> resources can be accessed."
>
> Is this the case with tomcat? I did not think so.

It is. The element (in web.xml) includes a section
that maps URL patterns to the role(s) that a user must have in order to
access that URL. This is all in the servlet spec, and portable across
containers. The only part that's not portable across containers is how
you actually set up the users and roles database (in Tomcat terms, that is
a matter of which Realm implementation you use).

> Our needs our very similar.
> The users with a admin page that allows them to change access to pages.

For Tomcat specifically, this can be done easily if you use a JDBCRealm to
get user and role information from a database. Then, writing an admin
program to manage users is just like any other database maintenance
application -- just make it update the same tables that JDBCRealm is using
to authenticate and authorize users.

Struts also has some built-in support for checking roles dynamically
during execution:

* You can use a "roles" attribute on an to limit which
users can execute that Action.

* You can use to conditionally display
parts of your UI to only people that have the role you specify.

Craig

.
.
.