I am an Emacs/JDE user myself, and I am beginning to look into Eclipse
only because it seems to make me more efficient with some tasks.. I
always liked the paradigm that VAJ provided but hated the repository due
to its difficulty in CVS integration. Eclipse is a nice middle ground,
giving me good codebrowsing, incremental compiling (showing what broke
after my recent change), etc. I still prefer the power of the emacs
editor and some of the JDE features match most of what I need in my
daily chores. I do find that the debugging is faster in Eclipse (but you
can't debug into a source you don't have in your project and you can't
open just any file - grrr), and tools such as refactoring and better
code complete is nice. I have yet to try the struts UI tools, since they
are mostly managing the XML files themselves (but I can see how they
help, I've just opted to not try them yet). So, I plan on using both
until I determine where my best efficiencies land and which one stays
out of my way the most and allows me to be productive. The key here is
that I'm trying to use it on one of my afterhours projects so I don't
take my effectiveness during the workday down too much, and I might try
it at work once I get comfortable enough to rebuld my project config
inside the IDE.

As for ERD, I'm sure there are others out there but I've used ArgoUML in
the past - all Java, sortof a buggy UI with nuances to learn, but free
and exports to GIF and XMI.

HTH,
James