And in your deployed WAR file, a file named "application.properties" is
in the directory "WEB-INF/classes/resources"?

In times like this, if I can't figure out why something isn't finding a
file I think it should find, I like to set up a "file I/O monitor", that
basically tracks all system calls, and allows filtering or searching for
various strings in the output.  In Windows, I tend to use a tool called
"FileMon", you can get from http://www.sysinternals.com.  Unices have
similar tools.