You were close to one solution, if you used "<c:url>".  You just didn't
fully read the usage information for this tag.  If you supply a "var"
attribute, you can specify the name of the page-scoped attribute to set
with the resulting URL string.  You can then reference this in the
"href" attribute of the "html-el:link" tag.