Thanks for your response.  It still doesn't work.  I looked at the page
you refered me to and the HashMap is names values and the getter/setter's
are named getValue, and setValue.  Is the s at the end of the map name
important.

I changed my form/jsp to work with an element of a known name.

in the form
private String foo = null;

public String getFoo ( ) {
    return foo;
}

public void setFoo ( String foo ) {
    this.foo = foo;
}

and the input tag becomes

                  value='${element.value}'/>

And it works like a champ.  Is there anything else I have to do
to make the HashMap work?  Like use a different Base Form class?

This seems easy enough?  I'm losing my mind!