You are assigning your console appender twice.
>  log4j.rootLogger=WARN,Console
>  log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor=DEBUG,Console
>  log4j.logger.app=DEBUG,Console

log4j.logger.app will inherit the appender from rootLogger, so you can just
do
log4j.rootLogger=WARN,Console
log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor=DEBUG,Console
log4j.logger.app=DEBUG

and that should take care of your extra messages.

                      Markus Holzem

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Struts Users Mailing List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: AW: Double log output
from commons-logging with log4j
                      06/19/2003 12:11

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

No, it is really the same, even the same timestamp:

[Servlet.Engine.Transports:10] (18:07:45,802)
apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionCreate -   Creating
new Action instance

[Servlet.Engine.Transports:10] (18:07:45,802)
apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionCreate -   Creating
new Action instance

LogonAction::execute called

[Servlet.Engine.Transports:10] (18:07:46,142)
app.control.LogonAction.execute - User A123456 logged on