If I recall this has been discussed in detail back in April 2001, and again in Feburary 2002,
so you'll be able to get a good feeling for what it means by searching either the struts-use archives,
or the tomcat-users archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&w=4
'Thread.currentThread' is a good search term.

Here is an e-mail from Craig
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=103739031630236&w=4

I believe the way Struts looks for classes works with all containers that follow the spec.
Any changes you make to the source would tie it to iPlanets/Sun ONE Web container,
that may be ok for now. Next time you upgrade to a new version of Struts someone
needs to remember to again change the source code.

It might be better to see if there is a PATCH available from Sun for their container.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,
     When I was debugging the code and verifying the log. I found the code
snippet mentioned below is behaving erratically in iPlanet/Sun ONE Web
Server. I  have no idea what is the purpose of the following code and why
it should behave differently in two different web servers.

PropertyMessageResources.java

       ClassLoader classLoader = Thread.currentThread
().getContextClassLoader();
       if (classLoader == null) {
           classLoader = this.getClass().getClassLoader();
       }

  If I change the code as mentioned below, it works. This is the code
which was there in struts 1.0.2.

ClassLoader classLoader = this.getClass().getClassLoader();

And wherever this code block is used there also it throws exceptions.

The same code is used in the following sources also.

ActionServlet.java(437)
FormBeanConfig.java(315)
FormPropertyConfig.java(257)
RequestUtils.java(201)

  Could somebody explain the purpose of this code and why was it changed
in 1.1?

  If I change the code to 1.0.2 style will it have any impact on the
struts functionality.

Best Regards,
Thiru

----- Message from JavaXML Developer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 18
Jul 2003 06:19:23 -0700 (PDT) -----

         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: Struts in iPlanet/Sun ONE Web Server 6.0
         SP5 throws exception

Sometimes back i had issue with iPlanet web server 6.0 with SP1. Now my app is running well on iWS with SP1. Am sure it should work well with later SP versions. Did you make sure your lib and tlds are getting picked up? Take a look at your _Welcome_jsp.java line 226 on which you are getting error in your error trace.

-Vicky

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

When I debugged the location of the line of messagetag.java, i
found it is not able to retrieve the message from the properties file.

But the message source has been configured in the struts-config.xml
file. I said null=true in action servet configuration, then it started
giving the values like ???en.welcome.heading???, ???en.welcome.message???.

I commented the message resouces entry in struts-config file and
added the application entry in web.xml. Still it is not picking up the
messages.

This happens only in iPlanet, in Tomcat as soon as deployed it
started working.

Regards
Thiru

thirumalai.ve eraswamy To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] cc: 07/18/2003 Subject: Struts in iPlanet/Sun ONE Web Server 6.0 SP5 throws 10:17 AM exception

Hi,

I have deployed the struts-blank.war file in Sun ONE Web Server
6.0(iPlanet) SP5. When I access the application through the URL it throws
an exception as mentioned below.

In the documentation I believe it mentions it will work in SP2+.

Please do the needful.

Regards
Thiru

[18/Jul/2003:10:04:52] info ( 2448): iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP5
B10/31/2002 14:41

[18/Jul/2003:10:10:53] failure ( 2448): Internal error: servlet service
function had thrown ServletException (uri=/struts-blank/Welcome.do):
javax.servlet.ServletException, stack: javax.servlet.ServletException
at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:453)

at _jsps._pages._Welcome_jsp._jspService(_Welcome_jsp.java:226) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:248)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.access$6(JspServlet.java:238)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:519) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:588) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.NSServletRunner.invokeServletService(NSServletRunner.java:919)

at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.WebApplication.service(WebApplication.java:1061)

at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.NSServletRunner.ServiceWebApp(NSServletRunner.java:981)

at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.NSServletSession.internalRedirect(Native Method) at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.NSRequestDispatcher.forward(NSRequestDispatcher.java:48)

at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1069)

at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.doForward(TilesRequestProcessor.java:274)

at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:455)

at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(TilesRequestProcessor.java:320)

at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:279)

at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.iplanet.server.http.servlet.NSServletRunner.invokeServletService(NSServletRunner.java:919)

, root cause: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException at org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:297) at _jsps._pages._Welcome_jsp._jspService(_Welcome_jsp.java:89) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:248)

[...]

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only. If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in