Yup.  However, there is a possible trick (which I haven't tried) which
is related to this.  You could still set your welcome file to "index.do"
(along with the security constraint for JSPs) if you just create a plain
file named "index.do", whose contents are irrelevant.  Apparently, the
container starts to serve the plain file, but the servlet mapping
handles it first.  One of these days I should actually try that :) , to
verify whether it works for me.