I'm afraid you've misunderstood the lifecycle of scriplet code vs.
JavaScript code.  Scriptlets are executed on the server side, and
generate output which is processed on the client side, which includes
the JavaScript that you've generated. The JavaScript is then executed on
the client side.  Thus, the scriptlet code and the JavaScript code are
executed at completely different times, in very different environments.