Set following header to set name of attached file.

response.setHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment; filename=\"" + fileName + "\"");

My two cents:
Do you really want to connect to database and strean file from database.
You may store temp file and check the date of temp file with database at client's request. Although, you might have to write a thread safe code which writes to temp file from database.

Nicholson, Robb wrote:
In one of our STRUTS applications, I have a screen that allows users to
upload and download files attached to an order. I have a JSP form that
allows the user to browse a file on their machine and upload it. Also on the
form is a list of the files already attached to the order, with links beside
each one to either view or delete the file.

When the user goes to view a file, I retrieve the file from the Oracle
database and send it to a servlet that sets it's content type appropriately
and then streams the file to the response writer.

This works great when it is a file type that the browser can handle. For
HTML, Word, Excel, JPG, etc, the browser window (Internet Explorer is our
corporate standard) will render the file perfectly.

However, for other file types, Explorer pops up a dialog box asking if you
want to view or save the file. When the user tries to save the file, the
default filename in the Save dialog is "FileView.action" (from the URL)
instead of the filename.
> My question is this: Is there a way I can get the filename to come up
instead? Is there a way I can accomplish this without writing temp files on
the server?

My initial thought was to write the temp file and generate a URL to it
(someone on this list was doing that a few days back). But we don't want to
be creating a bunch of files on the server and not knowing when we could
clean them up, so streaming it is ideal.

If it matters, we are using JBoss 3.2.2 as the app server.

Thanks in advance,
Robb

--
Thanks