"The new validwhen validation rule, which will be included into the Struts
release immediately after the 1.1 release..."

I am using the nightly build to develop my app and am hoping 1.2 will be
release by the time I'm ready to deploy.  So far, validwhen is operating as
promised.  I haven't run into any problems, but you may search the archives
to view other opinions.