"Craig Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > You could do that... or you could do it the J2EE way, decleratively
> > without any coding, letting container do it that way:
>
> Thanks for the reply Vic.  I can see how that would be the way to go if
> I were starting from scratch.  Unfortunately, I am using a framework
> that has its own repository for users/roles and I don't think I will be
> able to coerce it into operating within the J2EE Realm/LoginConfig
> model.

As long as you have users that have passwords, and that might be in zero or
more roles, it should be relatively easy to write a realm implementation
that would access your custom user information repository. That would allow
you to make use of the J2EE container managed security system, which solves
your problem about keeping POSTed request parameters across a login event.
If there is any way this would work, it seems likely to be the best (least
work, most rubust, has some positive side effects) way to go.

-Max

PS. It is likely that my mail client sucks (Outlook Express), but your
messages show up as Newsgroup postings rather than email messages, which
makes them a pain to reply to. Are you cross-posting to a newsgroup or
something?