> Puneet Agarwal wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Would it be possible and desired to make struts based applications be
>> available on 24x 7 basis.
>> What I mean is for a struts based application deployed in production
>> environment, the possible downtimes are two
>> 1. Dependency down - like Database backup.
>> 2. Next Release of the application to fix the bugs, or an upgradation.
>>
>> I target the second point. Now as regards to feasibility, I don't think
>> that is a problem, we can easily start a thread to address the best
>> possible design.
>>
>> all I am trying right now is only the acceptability, do other people also
>> require this, and how does it fit with the struts future plans.
>

> I've been hot-releasing new versions of Struts apps for years (on Resin)
> so I don't see that this issue has anything to do with Struts. It has to
> do with making all session objects serializable, and proper
> configuration of the app server to preserve sessions over a restart.
>
> Is there more you have in mind?
>
> Will

Above was posted in dev, it should be in user. Similar to:
http://theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=22504
I think using sesion fail over adds complexity and reduces stability.

A good way I think is to use a sticky bit at CISCO round & robin to app server A, B, C....
Once a session is created, all the requests go to the same box.
In the unlikely situation of a box failing, the user gets a new session on remaing boxes.

This is much simpler to maintain. Any hot (and distributed cache fulusing) can be done via iBatis/oscache.

I also monitor app in production via JaMon (OSS)

.V