At the moment, I'm in a quandry. I see no way to usefully use nested form
beans to encapsulate administrable users in my web app without somehow
getting a hold of a list of objects representing those administrable users
from the session context of the user who's administering them (the list's
composition depends partially upon the user doing the administration) so I
can prepopulate the list for its initial display.

I am having a little trouble seeing what you want to do. Instead of seeing how to do what you want to do with ActionForms, it might be helpful to first see what you want to do. Apparently you want to instrument objects representing users in sessions. That should not be doable enough, right? But, I cannot see why you would want to do that with ActionForms. Wouldn't you rather use something like MBeans or a roll-your-own similar or related sort of solution?

Michael